Monday, April 29, 2013

A three year journey has come to an end!!!!

 When Josh and I began our breastfeeding journey 3 years ago I never imagined I would nurse for so long but as time passed and amidst pressure from various people to wean him I stood my ground.In my heart I knew that he needed his mama's milk.Last week I realized my milk was gone I am not sure why I stopped producing maybe it was simply my body's way of saying I am done but I knew that the time had come to wean Josh.I have learned a few things about breastfeeding and myself along the way:
1)Don't let anyone push you around when it comes to you and your baby's nursing relationship~let your body and heart and little one tell you when the journey is over.
2)Persevere and find support~for me that was wonderful friends including my best friend who was my doula during labor and helped me so much in the days following Josh's birth.
3)Ignore the stares~I am sure I got a lot of strange looks when I nursed in public because I am not a small chested girl but I kept going even had women come up and say good for you at a fair one time.
4)And Finally Cherish the Journey~Josh started preschool a few weeks ago and I realized that he is already growing up so quickly.Cherish the snuggles and nursing sessions.
5)Don't Judge others when it comes to nursing ~I did I feel so bad the thing I have come to know is not everyone can nurse  don't judge them if you don't know why they can't.
Joshua,
Thank you for being my buddy on this amazing nursing journey and for letting me have the experience I always wanted.I love you Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment